Don’t pop pimples. Doing so can lead to additional irritation and leave scarring. Instead use a spot treatment with benzoyl peroxide.
Easy as 1,2,3: Makeup Tips for Teens
Throughout our teenage years, we are trying to define ourselves and harness our powers of self-expression. Often, this emerges in the ways that we dress, apply makeup and style our hair. Teenage girls love to experiment with beauty, but shouldn’t their routines be different than those of older, more mature women?
“Teenage skin can be very delicate, and the habits that are formed during these years shapes our beauty routines later in life. It is important to educate teens on the proper way to care for their skin, and how to have fun with makeup without needing too many costly products,” says Shana King, Beauty Director of Anisa International and Beauty Blogger at SK Beauty Expert.
Below, Shana shares some of her tips for teens on how to maximize their makeup looks:
1. A regular skin care routine is the most important thing to start. Cleansing twice a day, making sure to wash away oil and dirt build up, and applying moisturizer with sunscreen will all help to ensure the start of healthy skin and helps to prevent breakouts.
2. Don’t share products with your friends. Cross contamination will add to the issues of oil and bacteria.
3. Make sure to keep your products airtight. Properly close caps and leave them in a room temperature drawer.
4. Have fun with color! Focus on applying bright color to the nails and lips; for teens, glosses are best.
5. Use a brush to apply your products instead of fingers, and be sure to wash your brushes at least twice a month. (Use lukewarm water and rinse until water is clear, then air-dry flat.)
Shana’s top product suggestions for teens:
- Light application of pressed or loose powder will help reduce the appearance of an oily t-zone.
- Gel cheek and lip tint is a super easy and fun way to add a hint of color and it’s also perfect for the teen on the go. Sephora makes one of Shana’s favorites: Lush Flush Lip & Cheek Stain
- Apply a light color mascara to lift and volumize your eyes. Shana suggests staying away from jet black, as it adds a heavy look and will smudge under the eye area.
- Go for lip gloss in any fun shade. Perfect to add a subtle pop of color and shine, and they are easy to apply.
“Most importantly, have fun with it, girls, and remember, you are all beautiful just the way you are!” Shana says.